Monday, August 18, 2014

1st Day Of School 2014

By the end of the summer, we were all very ready for school to start. My kids are busy bodies and need to be doing stuff all day, so I'm pretty relieved when part of that time is spent being entertained elsewhere! Madi has a September birthday and in Las Vegas she was eligible for kindergarten at age 4.  I hesitated sending her, but her preschool teacher thought she was more than ready.  She went for most of the year, and excelled in many areas, but there were a few where she just plain struggled. As we were moving in the middle of the school year, I asked her teacher what she thought about Madi's progress.  Her opinion was that Madi was very smart and catches on quickly in school, but she is noticeably not as mature as the other classmates (which makes sense since was a year younger than many). Mrs. B suggested that we let her be with her age group and have her continue kindergarten in St. George at her proper grade level (they have an Aug. 30 cutoff).  After hearing her advice and talking to Dave we decided to take it and let her finish kinder at her new school.  I'm so glad we took her advice, because she is doing so well!  She takes her own intiative to do her homework and loves going to school everyday. It makes a huge difference, and I realize now what a struggle the year before was.  Now that being said, I'm still glad she had a chance to do some of kinder in Las Vegas.  She learned a lot, and got her that much more ready for today.  

Brock started preschool 3 days a week and lucked out with an amazing class full of 10 boys!  He loves going and his teacher is really good.  She is super organized and really cares about each boy and making sure they are learning the proper things to be ready for kinder.  Brock is so well behaved in school, his teacher is always complimenting him.  I'm not used to that, so it pretty nice to not have to worry about him! He goes in the afternoon, an Madi goes in the morning, so it gives them a good break from each other.On the first day of school we went to Freddy's for ice cream and the kids brought bread to their teachers.  I'm so grateful we were blessed with amazing schools for both of my kids.






No comments: