Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Gallbladder Surgery

Right after I had Madison, around 6 years ago, I had an episode of really severe abdominal pain.  It last for several hours and really scared me.  I almost went to the ER, but the pain went away so I forgot about it. Over the next 5 or so years I had the same pain periodically maybe 2 or 3 times a year. The pain was so bad for a few hours, but then it would go away, sometimes making me wonder if I really had the pain or not.  One time when it occurred I was hanging out with my friend Whitney.  I described to her what was going on, and she said it sounded like I was having a gallbladder attack.  She had had one and had similar symptoms.  With life being to busy, I never talked to a Dr. about it.  Until the past 6 months, I started getting the pain very regularly and it started lasting much longer and it was more painful.  The weekend of September 14, the pain started Friday night and did not stop, finally on Sunday morning it was so bad I went to the insta care to get checked.  I told them what I thought it was, and they sent me to the ER for an ultrasound.  I did end up having gallstones and a few hours later they took my gallbladder out. The surgery was lapriscopic, so all I had was five tiny little cuts in my stomach. Dave was at church when I drove myself to the Dr.  The kids had the primary program and I was a primary teacher, so he took them and filled in for me.  I text him when I found out about the surgery and he took the kids home and started to make a plan.  Immediately after he got home, there were two of my friends from the ward show up on our doorstep telling David they would take care of the kids.  It was such a blessing, to have people act and take over when we really needed it.  They didn't say, oh how can we help, they just saw our need and took action. Dave called his parents to tell them the situation and within a half hour they were on the road to help us. They took care of me and the kids from Sunday through Thursday.  I would not have made it without their help.  They took care of everything from meals to cleaning, to errands and entertaining the kids.  It gave me time to rest and recover. Also, Dave was scheduled to go to Arizona for work the night of my surgery, but he was able to cancel and work from St. George instead.  Many of the ward members brought dinner and offered to watch my kids.  It was so nice to have support when we really needed it.  It was such a crazy thing, but I'm sure glad the surgery went so well and I am feeling really good!   

A visit from Lyle and Nola would not be complete without a project to fix something!
Flowers from Hinton Burdick


Dave got the kids ready for church, not bad, expect for maybe Madi's hair :)

No comments: