Sunday, January 31, 2010

Very Scary Day

On Tuesday I learned how hard it can be to be a mom. I took Madison with me to do my visiting teaching. While we were there she got bit in the face by a boxer dog. It was a horrifying experience for both her and me.
I was sitting on the couch visiting with the sister and her dog ran into the laundry room and Madi ran after the dog shutting the door behind her. Within seconds of hearing the door shut I heard a loud scream from Madison and ran to grab her. Her face was gushing with blood and I wasn't sure what had happened since the dog did not bark. I heard a loud bang and thought maybe she hit her face on something. I grabbed a towel to put on her face to stop the bleeding and saw one of the cuts on her face and realized that it was a dog bite. I called an ambulance and we were rushed to the hospital where they brought in a plastic surgeon to stitch her up. She has some pretty big stitches on her face, but it really could have been so much worse. The surgeon was able to stitch up the cuts very well and he predicts no permanent scaring. She has a cut on each cheek as well as under her nose (which went through to the mouth affecting her gums, but luckily not the teeth). She did not suffer any nerve damage and luckily the bite was not near her eyes which could have been much worse.
She is such a resilient little girl, and has bounced back very quickly. In fact just moments after the doctor finished stitching her up and she started to come out of the sedation they put her under, he got his camera out to take a picture, and she smiled at him and said "cheese." That made me feel a lot better! In fact if it weren't for the cuts on her face you would never know that she went through. She was back to her old tricks the next day, climbing on everything and running around the house and everywhere we went. She will get her stitches out on Tuesday and from there we will lather her with medication until the scars are gone!
I am so grateful for the support that we have received through all of this. We have such great neighbors and friends who sincerely care and have been there for us. It is just nice to have someone to talk to about it. Madison is a loved little girl and we will always remember the love and concern shown to her.

David took some pictures with his phone the right after she got stitched up and then today so you can see the progress.
This is the night we got home from the hospital.
Here she is on this morning, showing us her best "cheese." She is already doing much better and we are comforted by her continued improvement.

15 comments:

The Gertsch's said...

Staci---i heard the next morning after it happened and jeff and I were SO sad...I'm so very sorry that it happened to sweet madi! I am glad she has bounced back! what a cute little girl! love you!

The Fleming Family said...

Oh my goodness!! Being a mom can be really scary!! I am so sorry that you all had to go through that. I am so glad that it wasn't worse and that she is getting better. How scary! Poor baby!
-Danielle

Melina said...

I just heard what happened last night. I'm so sorry, it must have been an awful ordeal. I don't think there's anything worse than seeing your child in pain. I'm glad she's recovering well. Good luck with everything.

Ashley Abbott said...

Oh my Gosh! That is a scary story!! I can't believe that really happened. I'm so sorry! She is so cute in those pictures though! I can't imagine what I would have done if that were me! I hope everything continues to go well!

rachel and brady said...

That's awful! Poor thing! I'm glad she's alright...

Adaire and Will said...

I am so glad she is okay and that her pretty face will heal up nicely. What a scary experience that must have been.

Shannon said...

How scary! I'm so sorry you all had to go through this. :( There is some great (though expensive) cream the surgeon can prescribe that will make a drastic difference with her scars. Once those stitches are out & he gives you the okay, keep sunblock on her daily. I'm so glad she's okay!

Shannon

Kolbi Young said...

Just thinking about you....again. My heart is so sad today, after reading your post this morning. How did the stitches removal go? It is moments like these that you realize how precious these little people are to us....and how hard life would be without them. Give her lots of loves!

amy + jeff said...

Reading this made me cringe and so sad. Poor little girl. I am so glad she is being a trooper and that it wasn't worse. Get well soon Madison!

jilljohnson said...

Oh that is so scary I can not believe how calm you seemed to handled it. Madi is so cute, I love her cute out look on life (at least from what I read).

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

I'm so glad that she is doing much better. After seeing the pictures and then seeing her at church, she does look much better. Now if we could just heal her mother's heart that easy. I know what a toll that stuff can take on a Mom! You're doing great!!

Brianna said...

What a sweet little girl! I thank Heavenly Father that Madi is on the mend and hopefully she won't be too traumatised in the future. Staci, I know that you're my visitng teacher but if there's anything that YOU need, please don't hesitate to give me a call. We're right down the street and can be there in just a second.
All our best to Madi!!!

Jamie Bills said...

How scary Staci. I can't imagine how horrible that would have been to open the door and see your daughter bleeding so badly. I am glad she is okay and hope she heals quickly. She is so precious.

Amy said...

Oh my goodness!! How scary! I can't imagine how worried you must have been. I'm glad Madi is such a tough little one and that it wasn't even more serious!

The Ericksons said...

Reading this post made me sick for you. I'm sorry sorry for both of you. Good thing she's one tough cookie...