Wednesday, April 29, 2015

1/2 Marathon and Paronychia

Around January of this year while we were setting goals, I decided to finally train for a 1/2 marathon, it's been a goal of mine for a while, so it was time.  I talked Dave into training with me, and we did it!  Since about 4 years ago, I never considered myself a runner, in fact in high school the cross country team had a saying, "I run, it hurts, and I like it." So me and some of my soccer friends had our own saying, "I run, and when it hurts, I stop."  I didn't like running at all, and I never tried very hard.  The only running I did was so soccer, and I was decently fast, but never long distances.  Fast forward to after a couple of kids and a good friend of mine got me into it.  I noticed lots of mom's used running as a therapy or release, so I reluctantly started and really started to love it! It was hard to train for the half marathon, I had to really carve out time on Saturday's (especially when the distances got pretty long), and go to bed earlier, etc.  I remember feeling so accomplished after I did my first 10 miles without stopping.  The day of the race went really well!  I did get pretty sick afterwards, so that part wasn't any fun, but I definitely want to do another one! A few days before my race, my finger (which had been getting progressively worse) got so bad that I finally went into the Dr.  He said I had paronychia, and he cut into my nail and gave me antibiotics. My nail fell off and is slowly growing back, it was such a weird thing...




No comments: